duration: 45 minutes
Health & Wellness
Review of the Cardiometabolic Effects of Low-Carbohydrate and Very-Low-Carbohydrate (Including Ketogenic) Diets
This webcast will review the NLA Scientific Statement on the “Review of current evidence and clinical recommendations on the effects of low-carbohydrate and very-low-carbohydrate (including ketogenic) diets for the management of body weight and other cardiometabolic risk factors: A scientific statement from the National Lipid Association Nutrition and Lifestyle Task Force.”
- —Describe the various carbohydrate-restricted dietary patterns.
- —Review evidence regarding the efficacy of low-carbohydrate diets for weight loss and weight loss management.
- —Review evidence regarding the effects of low-carbohydrate diets on additional cardiometabolic risk factors, including lipids/lipoproteins, glycemic control, and blood pressure.
- —Discuss the key recommendations of the National Lipid Association Scientific Statement.
- —Utilize the key recommendations in clinical practice when counseling patients on the use of low-carbohydrate and very-low-carbohydrate dietary patterns.
Presenter: Carol Kirkpatrick, PhD, MPH, RDN, CLS, FNLA
Wellness Center Director & Clinical Associate Professor, Kasiska Division of Health Sciences, Idaho State University
Time of talk: 45 minutes