Vitamin D requirements across the lifespan: infographic
If your patients exhibit symptoms in the areas of bone pain, myalgia, or muscle weakness, they may be suffering from deficient levels of vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency is often misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, age-related weakness, or even depression.1-3
Adequate vitamin D levels are crucial for supporting many essential physiological functions. In fact, new research suggests that vitamin D supplementation can even help post-menopausal women rebuild muscle.4
According to the Institute of Medicine Committee, the Endocrine Society, and Food and Nutrition Board, the recommended daily allowance of vitamin D differs among men and women depending on age.1
Do you know if your patients are getting enough vitamin D? Use this graphic in your office as a quick reference tool to share with patients.
1. Dietary reference intakes for calcium and Vitamin D. Institute of Medicine (US)
Committee to Review Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin D and Calcium; Ross AC, Taylor CL, Yaktine AL, et al., editors. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2011.
2. Holick M, Binkley N, Bischoff-Ferrari H, et al. Evaluation, Treatment, and Prevention of Vitamin D Deficiency: An Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;96(7):1911-1930.
3. Kennel K, Drake, M, Hurley D. Vitamin D deficiency in adults: When to test and how to treat. Mayo Clin Proc. 2010;85(8):752-758.
4. Cangussu L, Nahas-Neto J, Orsatti C, et al. A randomized study on the effect of vitamin D3 supplementation on skeletal muscle function in fallers postmenopausal women. The North American Menopause Society 2015 Annual Meeting.
5. Holick MF. Resurrection of vitamin D deficiency and rickets. The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 2006;116(8):2062-2072.
6. Lee J, So T-Y, Thackray J. A Review on Vitamin D Deficiency Treatment in Pediatric Patients. JPPT. 2013;18(4):277-291.
7. Jensen M. Vitamin D and male reproduction. Nature Reviews Endocrinology. 2014;10:175–186.
8. Martin-Herranz A, Salinas-Hernández P. Vitamin D supplementation review and recommendations for women diagnosed with breast or ovary cancer in the context of bone health and cancer prognosis/risk. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology. 2015;96(1):91-99.
9. Miller J, Harvey D, Beckett L, et al. Vitamin D status and rates of cognitive decline in a multiethnic cohort of older adults. JAMA Neurol. 2015, in press.
10. De-Regil L, Palacios C, Ansary A, et al. Vitamin D supplementation for women during pregnancy. The Cochrane database of systematic reviews. 2012.
11. Barassi A, Pezzilli R, Colpi G, et al. Vitamin D and erectile dysfunction. J Sex Med. 2014;11:2792–2800.