Allergies and Asthma: KNOW the signs to find relief
Signs that you're having an allergic reaction can be sudden and severe. Or they can be subtle and similar to other health conditions, making it harder to know based on symptoms alone.
Allergies, including asthma, are:
- The fifth leading chronic disease in the U.S. for people of all ages
- The third most common chronic disease for children under 18 years*
You're less likely to have an uncomfortable or life-threatening reaction once you know which allergens to prepare for or avoid. The first step is identifying if and when you experience allergy-like symptoms.
According to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, allergy symptoms may include one or more of the following:
| || |
What could be causing your allergy-like symptoms?
There are 12 primary types of allergies, according to the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology:
| || |
Find relief sooner with allergy testing from Quest Diagnostics
Knowing the source helps you and your doctor find the solution that will bring relief. Our Food and Drug Administration-cleared ImmunoCAP® blood test can screen for hundreds of allergens, including allergies caused by:
- Materials like silk or latex
Is ImmunoCAP right for you?
Ask your doctor if ImmunoCAP could help you determine if an allergic reaction is causing your symptoms. ImmunoCAP may help:
- Anyone as young as 3 months old with allergy-like symptoms
- Older children and adults with rhinitis (nasal allergies)
- Children and adults with a family history of allergies
- Young children with asthma
- Infants with eczema
Test prep needed?
None, though we recommend drinking plenty of water before any blood draw. You can also continue any current medications, as prescribed by your doctor.